The Meeting Targets and Maintaining Epidemic Control (EpiC) project offers technical assistance to prevent, prepare for, respond to and bolster health systems to address COVID-19. Currently, EpiC is implementing COVID-19 activities in Africa (Egypt, Eswatini, Liberia, Nigeria), Asia and the Pacific (Fiji, Indonesia, Kiribati, Maldives, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand) and Latin America (El Salvador, Honduras, Panama, Paraguay).
Technical assistance provided by the EpiC project includes:
- Support governments to establish or enhance public health emergency operation centers
- Assess health care facility capacity and needs related to ventilator use and prepare facilities to receive, install, use and maintain U.S. government-donated ventilators
- Train frontline health care workers on COVID-19 outbreak preparedness and infection prevention and control procedures
- Strengthen the capacity of health providers in clinical case management of hospitalized COVID-19 patients
- Conduct surge capacity planning, including strategies to help increase laboratory and hospital bed capacity and strategies for maximizing the number of staff available for direct patient care
- Conduct contact investigation, analysis of trends and identification of epidemic hotspots where COVID-19 screening and testing can be scaled up
- Deploy online systems to enable self-screening, user education and appointment booking for COVID-19 testing; triage patients prior to arrival at health facilities; conduct virtual communication with quarantined clients; and conduct virtual case management of clients with severe COVID disease
- Design and implement scaled interventions in strategic behavior communication and engagement on infection prevention and control
- Develop systems for health facility and community-level, geospatial enabled, real-time COVID-19 data collection, analysis, tracking, and visualization for decision-making
- Leverage DHIS2 software platforms to conduct COVID-19 case-based surveillance and contact tracing
- Support procurement of laboratory equipment and supplies to enhance COVID-19 diagnostic capacity
Read more about EpiC’s HIV efforts.
The EpiC Project: COVID-19 (fact sheet)