Learning from the World: Global Strategies for Improving Health Equity and Social Determinants of Health
October 2019 — FHI 360 conducted a global health equity scan on behalf of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to assess how health equity initiatives in selected countries potentially can be used to improve health equity in the United States.
This report contains analyses from Australia, Brazil, the Czech Republic, Indonesia, Northern Ireland, Singapore and South Africa. The team used a phased systematic approach based on macro-comparative social research methods and case-study analysis. The research revealed cross-cutting themes, including:
- Organized approaches to acknowledging and addressing injustice and structural violence
- Work across sectors to advance social determinants of health
- Increased community participation in policymaking and change initiatives
- Importance of place-based interventions
- Greater emphasis on early childhood development and education