Exploring the minimum wage
Students research U.S. Department of Labor web resources to learn about the minimum wage and some laws affecting workers.
Earn (Getting paid, Making money)
CTE (Career and technical education), English or language arts, Social studies or history
High school (9-10), High school (11-12)
Minimum wage laws set the lowest hourly rate a person can earn doing a specific eligible job.
- What is the minimum wage?
- What protections does the government provide for workers’ earnings?
- Become familiar with federal minimum wage laws
- Recognize specific wage laws that apply to young people
What students will do
- Read a poster about the federal minimum wage and other pay issues.
- Answer reading comprehension questions.
- Do Internet research to determine how their state’s minimum wage compares to the federal minimum wage.