- Open package carefully
- Place inner ring inside
vagina to cover cervix
- Outer ring covers
- Be sure penis is placed
- After use, dispose of properly
Use a new condom for each
act of intercourse
As with the male condom, research shows that most breakage
of the female condom is due to human error, not to problems
with the device.
Key messages during counseling for correct female condom use
- Open package carefully. Do not use sharp objects such as
rings, scissors, fingernails or teeth.
- Press the smaller inner ring between thumb and index finger.
Insert the inner ring high into the vagina, to cover the cervix.
Place the larger outer ring flat against the external organs
outside of the vagina. During intercourse, care should be
taken to place the penis inside the female condom and not
between the condom and vaginal wall.
- The female condom is pre-lubricated with silicone, but more
lubricant can be added to increase comfort or reduce noise
during use. The female condom does not deteriorate with exposure
to oil-based products.
- Do not use the female condom with the male condom.
- After intercourse, twist the outer ring several times before
removing it. This will prevent semen from leaking out of the
condom when it is removed.
- Remove the condom. Place it back in the package or wrap
it in tissue. Throw it away in a trash container.
- Use a new condom for each act of sexual intercourse.