- IUD/IUCD Use
- Early IUDs
- Copper IUDs
- Failure Rates
- Method Costs
- Incidence Rate
- Reducing Risk
Section 1 - Intrauterine Devices (IUDs)
By the time you complete this section, you will be able to:
- Describe several types of both currently and historically
- Explain the main mechanism of action of the copper IUD.
- Describe the low contraceptive failure rate for IUDs and
the recommended lifespan for three or more specific devices.
- List five or more characteristics of copper IUDs.
- Describe four or more possible side effects or complications
- Explain the risks of IUD use, including pelvic inflammatory
disease (PID), perforation, ectopic pregnancy and expulsion,
and how these risks can be reduced.