FHI 360 is supporting 43 Zambia Defense Forces (ZDF) facilities across seven provinces to expand, strengthen and scale up quality HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment services in ZDF health facilities. These facilities include the Zambia National Service, Zambia Air Force and Zambia Army.
Under the Zambia Defense Forces Prevention, Care, and Treatment (ZDFPCT) project, FHI 360 builds capacity; supports renovations, the provision of laboratory and other basic equipment; provides laboratory and pharmacy support; and provides technical assistance to facilities to ensure quality services based on nationally approved guidelines and standard operating procedures. ZDFPCT is also expanding the following innovative strategies to all ZDF sites:
- Initiating, or in some cases, strengthening treatment outreach
- Establishing HIV testing corners
- Early infant diagnosis through the Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) laboratory tests
- CD4 testing for pregnant HIV positive women
- Promoting the family-centered approach across the different technical areas